Fight Island is official! Dana White is taking the UFC’s talents abroad to the United Arab Emirates for the next month with several dates of action packed fights. Along with this historic announcement, Dana White has plenty of drama to keep him busy for the rest of the year.
Fight Island Details
Fight Island is now upon us. The UFC will put together 4 MMA events that’ll take place throughout the month of July. Dana is having an entire infrastructure built for these events. They’ll have an arena, a private training facility, exclusive hotels and dining areas, and an octagon on the beach! The fighters, staff, coaches, and UFC personnel will be the only people with access to these amenities. They created a safety zone of 10 square miles.
The fights will take place on Yas Island, which is located in the United Arab Emirates capital city of Abu Dhabi.
Dana White has secured 4 events throughout the month of July to bring UFC action to the world of MMA. UFC 251 will take place on July 11th from Abu Dhabi. The other events, likely UFC fight nights, will take place on 7/15, 7/18, and 7/25 on Fight Island.
Dana White is giving an opportunity to his fighters to make money through this pandemic. Providing fights in Abu Dhabi will give international fighters a chance to get in the octagon and earn a paycheck during the pandemic.
The UFC have a good business relationship with Abu Dhabi, and they were ready to step up and offer a solution to their crisis by holding events in a remote location. Yassss Island!
Dana White is starting the festivities off with a huge bang in their first event on July 11th. There will be 3 championship fights! Two fights in the strawweight division have also been announced. Here’s the announced card so far:
- (C) Kamaru Usman vs. Gilbert Burns
- (C) Alexander Volkanovski vs. Max Holloway
Vacant Bantamweight Championship
- Petr Yan vs. Jose Aldo
- Rose Namajunas vs. Jessica Andrade
- Paige Van Zant vs. Amanda Ribas
UFC 252 Headliner?
The news just keeps coming for the UFC. Also announced today was the long awaited bout for the UFC Heavyweight title. Stipe Miocic is ready to step in the octagon and defend his heavyweight title in a trilogy bout with Daniel Cormier. FINALLY! The fight will be held on August 15th at an undisclosed location. Below is the card as there’s another fight announced as well.
- (C) Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier
- Ashley Yoder vs. Livia Renata Souza
The UFC news wire is on fire over the last week! If you’ve been living under a rock, or have sunk way too deep into quarantine mode, let’s look at the headlines in some quick hits.
- Conor McGregor Retired….Again
- Jorge Masvidal wants more money, and now has let a Welterweight title shot slip through his fingers.
- Jon “Bones” Jones is on the streets on New Mexico saving the world and wants to relinquish his title because he’s underpaid.
- Henry Cejudo said he doesn’t want to fight anymore, and gives up both of his belts. I guess you could say he’s enjoying retirement thus far.